Wednesday, September 5, 2007

She's Got a Pulse!

I am alive.

This week has been pretty slow, but next week will be very interesting as I am creating a unit right now and will be implementing it starting Monday. What I am teaching will be a surprise for you all. You will just have to read next week to find out! Here are some hints: I am an easily distracted Southern feminist who disapproves of racism and other forms of discrimination alike. I value expression of all forms and I like poetry. Stay tuned...

My students have been presenting their ABRs ("alternative book reports" for those of you not down with the eduspeak). What a success! I grade them with ease, simply filling out the rubrics as the students sing songs, act out skits, play movie trailors, or pull symbolic objects out of a brown bag. I have had a variety of presentations: sock puppets, radioesque recordings, paintings, fake tattoos full of symbolism, video representations, song and dance...the list goes on.

Our first Spectrum meeting was this morning. Spectrum is a Gay Straight Alliance at our school that acts as a support group and raises awareness. From my understanding it is less political - more social. Students and teachers alike participate in the Day of Silence, and this is a club that works towards acceptance and tolerance. I am glad to be at a school that hosts this club and these principles.

My thoughts keep drifting back to the idea of going to another country for six months or a year in January and teaching English. It is prime time for me to take my life by the balls (pardon the language) and, besides, I got some soul searching/internal excavatin' to do. It will probably just spark my flame and fill me with the wanderlust though. I may never return.

-OR-

If you know my folks talk them into sending me to Chile for a month or so after graduation!!! You know, Moms, for research!

Some friends of mine had a healthy baby boy today! That kid has an amazing adventure ahead of him!

No comments: