Monday, September 17, 2007

Long Monday

Today was a strange one.

I assigned a new Feather Circle topic. I looked into a sea of twisted faces...once again. They are just missing the connection between journaling and public writing. I know why too...because I really haven't taught that! I am having to really squish what I can into my 48 minute class periods and I didn't know how much class time my CT would be willing to spare for a writing program. Now I have decided that next week I will be discussing the writing process with them. Yay mini-lessons! Today I made a large image of the writing process schematic and put it in the front of the room. Tomorrow I will put the Five Commandments of writing in the front of the room. That way it is there for them to see and understand (hopefully) without us having to spend a ton of class time on it.

Tomorrow I will also be formally observed for the first time. I am sort of nervous, but I told my kids that we would have a guest and they needed to make me look real good. I did. No shame.

Journals were pretty interesting. Some of those kids really have thoughts bumping around the inner-workings of their 14 year old black hole's. By thoughts I mean questions; one's that are not dealing with boys and kissing. I got some good stuff and I let them know it was good. Some kids really remind me of me when I was their age. I can tell that those students have a bright future! Haha.

Best part of today by far: one of my "colleagues" in the English Dept. may be moving in or around December. He will know more by mid-October. Maybe I won't be completely broke, standing frostbitten on the corner of Edgewood and Boulevard rapping for my dinner!

No comments: