Monday, September 10, 2007

Rinse and Repeat

I am going to spare you all the details of how amazing my debut performance was in the role of one and only teacher lady and provide you with an overview of my day.

I was prepared.
Each desk had a journal on it.
I had my copies of "Theme for English B" and the Feather Circle rules at the front table.
The kids came in, we worked on identifying prepositional phrases and the verbs/nouns/adverbs they modify and then BLASTOFF!
I asked the students to open the journals on their desks and answer one simple question: "Who are you?" Of course, each period asked a few questions about how length requirements, specifics, and other assignment type stuff that they always expect. Fortunately though they began writing. I sat at the front of the room and wrote along with them. This is what I wrote:

I am a student who is at the end of her journey. Or is this the beginning? As of yesterday I am the proud companion to a 2 month old kitten (name tentative...maybe Digby, Basil, Sprout, or something else). My teacher shoes are growing a bit more comfortable, however, I still have sore spot on my left foot. I am the leader. I am the follower. I am the student I am the teacher. My teacher's are 14 years old. I am learning every day. I am the product of a stubborn Southern man and a tough-as-nails mama from the North. I prefer pedaling over pushing the pedal to the metal. I don't eat anything that had a mother or a face. I find comfort in knowing that books help us outgrow our madness. Help us unlock certain secrets to the world. Within our own souls. Early to bed. Early to rise. That's who I am theses days.

After I read it they clapped...so kind. Three brave students per class read their entries too. Then we had a discussion about the common ways we identify ourselves.

I transitioned into this poem:

Theme for English B

It really sparked great conversation. We discussed who you becomes after "you" is no longer the instructor. I had written "But I guess I'm what I feel and see and hear" on the board and I asked the kids if this was accurate. If we really only those things. I asked if race defines us. I asked if the music we listen to defines us. I asked if I define them and they define me. I discussed the relationship that we were destined to have and how whether any of us like it or not, we are all a part of one another now. We are part of one another's journey. Hughes is a part of our journey too. We are "you."

The kids clapped after the poem was read aloud.

Um, what else? I explained the feather circles.
I gotta find a stick before Friday!
About three of the kids have done Feather Circles before. Apparently, those three had the wife of a writing professor from my university as their 8th grade teacher. Coincidence.

They should be well versed in the ways of the circle.

By fifth period I was flying through, comfortable with everything, and I didn't miss a beat. I really hope the feather circles are successful. We'll see.

Discussion rules. Poetry rules. My cat rules. I need to name the little darling.


The first movie we watched together was Dead Poet's Society. "Oh Captain, my Captain!"

2 comments:

The Whateverist said...

Hooray Courtney! My distance from the blog has obviously not gone unnoticed-- therefore I return!
I am so glad things are looking up for you (and I am ultimately JEALOUS that you get to pick the reading material!)

I'm glad to be back on board this thing, and trust me, I'm here to stay.

Keep me posted!

Unknown said...

i think you would've been my favoritest teacher.