Thursday, January 31, 2008

Our Government Makin' Out Like a Bandit!

PAYDAY! I have officially recieved my first paycheck as an adult, with a career, and after working at this school for a total of six months. I was so excited about making my own money, living my own life, and saving as I prepare to move! I woke up this morning and went straight to my bank account so I could see the glory that is direct deposit and take note of the HUGE increase in my checking account. I watched the screen appear, sleepy-eyed and fuzzy-headed, with my brand new balance on it and then...I teared up and laid back in bed.

On paper, I thought that I was going to be rich! I am fresh out of college, mind you, so this meager teacher salary that I always hear teachers fussing about seemed like a goldmine to me! I am cheap and I don't need much. I thought, "Geez, I could save half of my income! Hello New York!" I was so (sosososo) very wrong. It seems that our government wants us to believe one thing by saying, "Teachers pay starts at this amount in this county" and my county pays pretty dang good. Then, before they give you that money they take out $438.19 in taxes. FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY EIGHT DOLLARS BEFORE MY HEALTH CARE!?!?!? No, you have to be kidding me. What in the world could I possibly be paying for with those taxes? Tell me. Please, someone, make me feel like this world is fair and good again. The government has ripped from my clenches the belief that being a grown-up rules. Add my benefits to that ad my check is $562 less than what my contract says. Why then, do we get tricked into thinking that we will be making X amount of dollars? Why don't the people hiring us (state employee!) say, "Hey, I know this paper says this, but go ahead and count on making, uhhh, $10,000 less than what it says here. This piece of paper is actually filling you with false hopes and supporting goals that will never come true. It is a lie and we are dirty bastards out to steal your very hard earned money. Enjoy your new career."

Does everyone go through this new experience?

No comments: