Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-Changes

Sounds of summer have faded and been replaced with the familiar ringing of bells and the giggles generated by girl/boy glances. I am tired, my ankles and feet have swollen, and by the end of the day I desire yoga pants and silence. It is very, very difficult to get back into the swing of things yet at the same time it is very stimulating. I have felt refreshed being able to discuss ideas again and hear the kids get excited about what I am offering up to them.

This year I am teaching five sections of 10th Grade Honors and my darling little Journalism class. Journalism has been a thorn in my side as I try to figure out different ways to teach a class that I have never taken. So far so good. I know the kids well, the staff is dynamite, and they all have the ability to learn...they just have to get ready to learn. I will be teaching many different aspects of journalism (um, like every little aspect: news writing, writing leads, how to be a journalist, where to find news, what is news, layout, InDesign, Photoshop, advertising, business managing, mass media, role as a journalist, etc. etc. etc.) in one month. Students generally take a year long class before becoming a member of the staff. It is stressful and I have big expectations for this year. The kids, even the ones who have been here a long time know very little. When asked what AP Style was (answer: Associated Press) one of my kids from last year said, "authoritative princess! YOU, Ms. Cook!" Very cute, but very wrong. I then expelled the air from my lungs and collapsed on my desk pretending to be killed by their lack of knowledge. Ho, hum...we have a long road to ho.

My 10th grade classes are in for a lot of fun. I am not teaching in a traditional manner this year. We will be using memoir as a framework for teaching/learning writing, students will be working on creating portfolios rather than writing single papers, and I will be running my classroom in a way that is similar to that of a studio (think painter or architect studio). I am using many ideas from Kirby and Kirby's new book New Directions in Teaching Memoir: A studio workshop approach. Great stuff in there. It is actually working so far too. I am pretty excited. The ideas we will be covering (What is history? What is civilization? What is culture? What is government?) are big and great. I am having fun coming up with different ways to present the ideas that are simultaneously being taught to my students by their AP World History classes as very literal, simple ideas. I am blowing their minds so far talking about bias in history and the connection between history and memory. I want them to be Truth seekers and skeptics...not jerks who say, "I don't believe you!!!" but I want them to ask questions. It is working...it is fun. They will be writing a memoir this semester and keeping writing notebooks in class. We are currently tying information regarding the creation of History (World, American, etc.) to personal history (i.e. their individual memoirs).

I am sponsoring my school's gay/straight alliance as well. I am a bit overwhelmed, but I feel like I am really making a difference already and it is only the third day. I feel like I am being the type of teacher that I want to be. I am teaching material that matters and is relevant. I am teaching life skills (being reflective, thoughtful, curious, human beings who know how to seek out information independently an represent themselves accurately through writing) that matter. I feel good. I feel tired, but I feel good.

Answers to my lingering questions have unleashed themselves upon my life as well. Grad school it is! I need to make time to study for GRE and research some schools. I am seeking a MA first and then I have lofty goals in place for getting a PhD and changing the world. It feels good to do it. To do something that matters. I like where I am in my life. I like what I am doing.
I had the thought yesterday that I should use this blog to collect data from my classes. I hope to be studying American Studies and looking deeper into the nuances of race relations in our country. I think looking at my classroom as a reflection of the surrounding community would be a good place to start. Inequalities anyone?

I have a new house and my cat is home and I have renter's insurance...just in case another twister takes me down.

This year I predict a lot of growth for me and my students. I want it to be great. I really, really do.

2 comments:

drc said...

Courtney,

I probably recommended James Loewen's books to you before. Sorry if so. Check out _Lies My Teacher Told Me_ and _Lies Across America_. Both deal with how historical falsehoods are continually perpetrated through culture, history textbooks, and historical landmarks. Good stuff on race/gender/class, and general bias.

dc

C said...

You did recommend it when I was in school. I am sending chapters home with the kids this weekend to read. Monday they will research the accuracy of the novel and compare to thier History text books. :)