Monday, December 31, 2007

arrivederci 2007!

I am trying to wrap up the last day of 2007 (good riddance!) by preparing like crazy for the first few days of 2008. I begin work on Friday and the kids come galloping in the following Monday. I am completely freaked out. Completely.
I know that I will be teaching some genre of literature and that the kids should be ready to begin research on particular authors that their teacher-formerly known as super slack- should have already set up with each of them. Probably hasn't. I will have to. I am trying to read all of the short stories in my binder that I may, possibly, any chance in hell, teach to them so that I am one step ahead. I feel that is how I will shuffle through these first few months...one step ahead of every kid.
As far as the newspaper class goes, I had a brief tutorial with an old friend on InDesign and Photoshop. Um, so, we'll see.
I have definitely been that annoying first year teacher who is coming in mid-year and emailing all of my future colleagues with questions and planning ideas (which we decided we would do before the break) and have only heard from my darling, across the hall, neighbor who I love. She is in her second year and remembers the fear that floods the hearts of new teachers. She is also, um, 23, just like me. Well, I will be 23 on Wednesday. THEN all of the ridiculous holiday parties can stop and I can get back to watching TVD's and reading books all by my lonesome.

I think that 2008 will be good because I want it to be. I am going to start getting my travel on which is what makes my heart flutter the most. First trip is to NY in January (bad timing, I know...irresponsible, maybe) and I am excited to fly on an airplane all alone for the first time in my whole, tiny little life. Teeny little steps to get me started on a grand adventure! I will not rely on luck or fate or any of those other invisibles that I don't believe in. No collard greens and black eyed peas will lead me to happiness this year; I will. All by myself and all growed up.

1 comment:

The Whateverist said...

I was going to call you today-- I was thinking about you and the panic that is probably erupting in your heart!

Take it one step at a time, and heck, if all else fails, make 'em laugh!

Keep me posted!