Thursday, October 11, 2007

Asian Wisdom and Mariachi Madness

Tuesday night my sleep was interrupted by a nightmare I had where my ex-boyfriend and one of my Seniors were dating. When I woke up I was hyperventilating and crying.
Only two thoughts were in my head after I suddenly awoke: 1. I wish both of those jerks would keep outta my head and 2. I need a freaking break!

This week has been rather chaotic. Monday my students were wearing sombreros, playing with marionettes, bouncing eyeballs, magic wands, wigs, and a Webster's dictionary. It was our final (very informal) assessment to wrap up this characterization stuff and we decided that this assignment was silly as hell then asked ourselves, "Why do it?" Our response was simply, "Why not?"

The assignment was to get one of the totally random props that we had provided for them and then to partner up. They were to each perform an interview using questions that I had developed plus some of their own all focused primarily on the prop and their partners relationship with/to it. They had to basically develop turn their partner into a character based on the prop. Next they had to create a Word Portrait, which was just like the Word Photos (below) except a portrait of their partner/character and his/her prop. Finally, this was the totally random part, they had to pose their character/partner in a pose that was relevant to his/her attitude as a new character and fingerpaint a portrait of them...in two minutes. I am evil.

It was fun, but wow was it hectic. Wednesday was especially strange. Not sure why...my mind has been really running away from me lately and just feel frazzled. So after the longest day ever on Wednesday I decided to open one of the props, a fortune cookie, just to read the fortune. As if I didn't already know that my day had been bad enough with the sub who doesn't complete anything - including a simple thought, and kids who can't stop talking for fear that the attention will be directed towards me, the teacher, my fortune was exactly what I needed to quit my day.
It read: Today your mouth will be moving, but no one will be listening.

It was then that I calmly closed my grade book, put the pathetic excuses for essays that I am currently grading into my bag and marched out of that hell hole. After, of course, I taped my fortune to the desk.

No comments: